Quarterback JOE FLACCO of the Baltimore Ravens, cornerback TRACY PORTER of the Denver Broncos and punt returner-wide receiver JEREMY KERLEY of the New York Jets are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played on NFL Kickoff Weekend 2012 (September 5, 9-10), the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB JOE FLACCO, BALTIMORE RAVENS
– Flacco completed 21 of 29 passes (72.4 percent) for 299 yards with two touchdowns versus zero interceptions and a 128.4 passer rating in a 44-13 win over the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday Night Football.
– Led a Ravens offense that posted an AFC-best in total yards (430) and average yards per play (7.4) in Week 1.
– His 299 passing yards ranked second in the AFC in Week 1 (ANDREW LUCK, 309).
Posted a 128.4 passer rating and the Ravens are 24-2 (.923) when Flacco has 100+ passer rating.
– Since entering the NFL in 2008, Flacco has a 45-20 (.692) record, tied with DREW BREES (45) for the most wins among NFL starting quarterbacks during that span.
– In his fifth year from Delaware, this is Flacco’s second career Offensive Player of the Week Award. He previously won the award in 2008 (Week 9).
DEFENSE: CB TRACY PORTER, DENVER BRONCOS
– Porter recorded eight tackles, five passes defensed and an interception-return touchdown in the Broncos’ 31-19 win over the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday Night Football.
– Porter played a pivotal role in a Broncos defense that limited the Steelers to 284 total net yards (209 passing, 75 rushing).
– With 2:10 remaining in the fourth quarter, Porter intercepted a pass intended for Pittsburgh wide receiver EMMANUEL SANDERS at the Steelers’ 43-yard line and returned it for a touchdown to clinch a Broncos victory.
– It was his eighth career interception and first as a Bronco.
– His five passes defensed are the most by a Bronco in a single game since October 7, 2001 (DELTHA O’NEAL, six).
– In his fifth season from Indiana, this is Porter’s first career Defensive Player of the Week Award.
– Porter is the first Broncos cornerback to win Defensive Player of the Week since CHAMP BAILEY in 2009 (Week 4).
SPECIAL TEAMS: PR-WR JEREMY KERLEY, NEW YORK JETS
– Kerley posted a 68-yard punt return-touchdown in the Jets’ 48-28 win over the Buffalo Bills on Kickoff Weekend.
– He is the first Jet to register a punt return-touchdown since SANTANA MOSS on November 3, 2002.
– Kerley also added four receptions for 45 receiving yards, including a 12-yard touchdown pass from quarterback MARK SANCHEZ.
– He became the first player in the NFL since 2000 (AZ-ZAHIR HAKIM) to record a touchdown reception and punt return-touchdown in a season opener.
– In his second season from TCU, this is Kerley’s first career Special Teams Player of the Week Award. He is the first Jets kick returner to win Special Teams Player of the Week since BRAD SMITH in 2010 (Week 12).