Quarterback ROBERT GRIFFIN III of the Washington Redskins and defensive end CHANDLER JONES of the New England Patriots are the NFL Offensive and Defensive Rookies of the Month for September, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB ROBERT GRIFFIN III, WASHINGTON REDSKINS
- Griffin, the second overall selection in the 2012 NFL Draft out of Baylor, led all rookies and ranked fourth in the NFL with a 103.2 passer rating. He completed 86 of 124 passes (69.4 percent) for 1,070 yards with four touchdowns and one interception.
- He rushed for 234 yards during the month, the most by an NFL quarterback. His four rushing touchdowns in September tied for the NFL lead among all players.
- In Week 1, Griffin was named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week for his performance in the Redskins’ win at New Orleans in which he became the first rookie quarterback to throw for 300 yards and win a season opener. He is also the only player in NFL history to pass for at least 300 yards and two touchdowns without throwing an interception in an NFL debut.
- In Week 4, Griffin orchestrated the first fourth-quarter comeback victory of his NFL career. He passed for a career-best 323 yards with a 102.4 passer rating and rushed for 36 yards and a touchdown.
- Griffin is one of only three rookies in NFL history to pass for at least 1,000 yards (1,070) in the first four weeks of a season.
- Griffin and tackle CHRIS SAMUELS (October 2000) are the only Redskins to be named NFL Offensive Rookie of the Month.
- Last season, two quarterbacks were named NFL Rookie of the Month: CAM NEWTON (September) and ANDY DALTON (October).
DEFENSE: DE CHANDLER JONES, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
- Jones, a first-round selection out of Syracuse, registered a team-high three sacks in September, the most among NFL rookies.
- Jones finished September with 19 tackles, three sacks and two forced fumbles.
- He recorded a sack in three of four games during the month.
- On Kickoff Weekend, Jones forced a fumble when he sacked Titans quarterback JAKE LOCKER and Patriots rookie linebacker DONT’A HIGHTOWER recovered the ball for a six-yard fumble return-touchdown in the Patriots’ 34-13 win at Tennessee.
- In Week 2, Jones recorded his second sack of the season and forced a fumble on Cardinals quarterback KEVIN KOLB, which was recovered by Patriots rookie safety TAVON WILSON.
- In Week 4, Jones registered his third sack in four games on Bills quarterback RYAN FITZPATRICK for a five-yard loss in the Patriots’ 52-28 win at Buffalo.
- Jones’ three sacks are the most by a Patriots rookie through the first four games since 1993 (CHRIS SLADE, five).
- He joins JEROD MAYO (October of 2008) as the only Patriots to be named NFL Defensive Rookie of the Month.