Quarterback PEYTON MANNING of the Denver Broncos, defensive end CAMERON WAKE of the Miami Dolphins and kicker SEBASTIAN JANIKOWSKIof the Oakland Raiders are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for October, the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB PEYTON MANNING, DENVER BRONCOS:
- For the month, Manning completed 77 of 104 passes (74 percent) for 951 yards with nine touchdowns versus one interception and a 126.7 passer rating as he helped the Broncos to a 2-1 record in October.
- Passed for 300+ yards with three touchdowns and a 100+ passer rating in each of his three games in October.
- In Week 6, Manning earned AFC Offensive Player of the Week honors, passing for 309 yards with three touchdowns versus one interception and a 129 passer rating in the Broncos’ 35-24 win at San Diego. He helped the Broncos overcome a 24-0 deficit and become the first team in NFL history to win by double digits after trailing by at least 24.
- In Week 8, Manning passed for 305 yards with three touchdowns versus zero interceptions and a 138.9 passer rating in the Broncos’ 34-14 win over New Orleans.
- Manning had an NFL-best in completion percentage (74%) and passer rating (126.7) in October.
- Manning posted an AFC-high in passing yards per game (317) in October and tied TOM BRADY for the most touchdown passes (nine) in the AFC for the month.
- Through Week 8, Manning has the NFL’s top passing rating (109).
- In his 15th season from Tennessee, this is Manning’s fifth career Offensive Player of the Month Award. Manning has the second-most AFC Player of the Month awards since the accolade was instituted in 1986, trailing only TOM BRADY (six).
DEFENSE: DE CAMERON WAKE, MIAMI DOLPHINS:
- Wake registered nine tackles and three sacks as he helped the Dolphins to a 3-0 record in October.
- Wake’s three sacks tied for an AFC-best in the month. He posted one sack in each of his team’s three October games.
- Played a pivotal role in the Dolphins allowing an AFC-low 12 points per game in October (second-fewest in the NFL).
- Through Week 8, Wake ranks second in the AFC with 7.5 sacks.
- In his fourth season from Penn State, this is Wake’s first career Player of the Month Award. He is the first Dolphins defensive end to win the award since JASON TAYLOR in 2006 (November).
SPECIAL TEAMS: K SEBASTIAN JANIKOWSKI, OAKLAND RAIDERS:
- Janikowski made 10 of 11 field goals for the month to help the Raiders to a 2-1 record in October.
- Janikowski ranked third in the NFL and second in the AFC with 10 field goals in October and has made four field goals in consecutive games (Weeks 7 and 8).
- Totaled 36 of the Raiders’ 72 points for the month.
- In Week 7, Janikowski connected on a game-winning 40-yard field goal in a 26-23 overtime victory against Jacksonville.
- Through Week 8, Janikowski has made 18 field goals, the most in the AFC.
- In his 13th season from Florida State, this is Janikowski’s fourth career Player of the Month Award. He most recently won the award in November of 2011.
2012 AFC PLAYERS OF THE MONTH
|September||WR A.J. Green, Cincinnati||DE J.J. Watt, Houston||KR-RB, Darius Reynaud, Tennessee|
|October||QB Peyton Manning, Denver||DE Cameron Wake, Miami||K Sebastian Janikowski, Oakland|