Quarterback ANDY DALTON of the Cincinnati Bengals, cornerback DARIUS BUTLER of the Indianapolis Colts and kick returner-wide receiver JACOBY JONES of the Baltimore Ravens are the AFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Week for games played the 10th week of the 2012 season (November 8, 11-12).
OFFENSE: QB ANDY DALTON, CINCINNATI BENGALS
- Dalton completed 21 of 30 passes (70 percent) for 199 yards with four touchdowns and no interceptions for a 127.6 passer rating in the Bengals’ 31-13 win over the New York Giants.
- Connected with four different Bengals receivers on his TD passes – 56 yards to WR A.J. GREEN, 11 yards to WR ANDREW HAWKINS, 10 yards to TE JERMAINE GRESHAM and 10 yards to rookie WR MOHAMED SANU.
- Dalton’s four touchdown passes were the most in the NFL in Week 10.
- His 127.6 passer rating ranked second in the NFL and first in the AFC in Week 10.
- Helped the Bengals improve their record to 6-0 all-time at home against the Giants.
- In his second season from Texas Christian, this is Dalton’s first Player of the Week Award. He is the first Bengal to win Offensive Player of the Week honors since CARSON PALMER in 2009 (Week 7).
DEFENSE: CB DARIUS BUTLER, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
- Butler recorded four tackles, one fumble recovery, two passes defensed and two interceptions, including an interception-return touchdown in the Colts’ 27-10 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.
- In the second quarter, Butler recovered a fumble by Jacksonville wide receiver LAURENT ROBINSON at the Colts’ 39-yard line.
- In the third quarter, Butler registered his first interception of the season when he picked off Jaguars quarterback BLAINE GABBERT at Jacksonville’s 11-yard line and returned it for a score.
- Posted his second interception of the game when he picked off Jaguars quarterback CHAD HENNE at the Colts’ 36-yard line.
- Helped the Colts record their fourth consecutive win and improve to 6-3.
- In his fourth season from Connecticut, this is Butler’s first career Defensive Player of the Week Award.
- He is the first Colts cornerback to win Defensive Player of the Week since 1994 (RAY BUCHANAN, Week 14). Butler is the first Colt to win Defensive Player of the Week honors this season.
SPECIAL TEAMS: KR-WR JACOBY JONES, BALTIMORE RAVENS
- Jones registered a 105-yard kickoff-return touchdown in the Ravens’ 55-20 win over Oakland.
- Jones is the first player in NFL history with two career 105+ yard kick-return touchdowns. Jones, who tied the NFL record with a 108-yard kick-return touchdown in Week 6, has recorded both 105-yard KR-TDs in a span of four games.
- Posted his third career kickoff-return touchdown.
- Since entering the NFL in 2007, Jones is tied for fourth in the league with six combined kick-return touchdowns (three PR-TDs, three KR-TDs).
- Helped Baltimore record its 15th consecutive win at home, the longest current home winning streak in the NFL.
- In his sixth season from Lane, this is Jones’ fifth career Special Teams Player of the Week Award. He most recently won the award in Week 6.
- He is the first Raven to win Special Teams Player of the Week twice in a season since kicker MATT STOVER in 1999 (Weeks 11 and 16).
2012 AFC PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
|Wk 1||QB Joe Flacco, Baltimore||CB Tracy Porter, Denver||PR-WR Jeremy Kerley, New York Jets|
|Wk 2||RB Reggie Bush, Miami||DE J.J. Watt, Houston||PR-CB Adam Jones, Cincinnati|
|Wk 3||RB Jamaal Charles, Kansas City||DE Michael Johnson, Cincinnati||KR-RB Darius Reynaud, Tennessee|
|Wk 4||QB Tom Brady, New England||LB Donald Butler, San Diego||K Matt Prater, Denver|
|Wk 5||WR Reggie Wayne, Indianapolis||DT Randy Starks, Miami||K Shaun Suisham, Pittsburgh|
|Wk 6||QB Peyton Manning, Denver||S Jairus Byrd, Buffalo||KR-WR Jacoby Jones, Baltimore|
|Wk 7||RB Chris Johnson, Tennessee||DE Lamarr Houston, Oakland||KR-DB Devin McCourty, New England|
|Wk 8||QB Tom Brady, New England||LB Wesley Woodyard, Denver||DE Olivier Vernon, Miami|
|Wk 9||QB Andrew Luck, Indianapolis||CB Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh||KR-WR Trindon Holliday, Denver|
|Wk 10||QB Andy Dalton, Cincinnati||CB Darius Butler, Indianapolis||KR-WR Jacoby Jones, Baltimore|
Other nominees for AFC Offensive Player of Week 10 as submitted by AFC clubs:
- Baltimore quarterback JOE FLACCO, who completed 21 of 33 passes (63.6 percent) for 341 yards with three touchdowns versus one interception and a 115.8 passer rating.
- Tennessee running back CHRIS JOHNSON, who rushed for 126 yards on 23 carries (5.5 average) with one touchdown in the Titans’ 37-3 win at Miami.
- Indianapolis rookie quarterback ANDREW LUCK, who completed 18 of 26 passes for 227 yards and posted two rushing touchdowns.
- Denver quarterback PEYTON MANNING, who completed 27 of 38 passes (71.1 percent) for 301 yards with one touchdown versus zero interceptions and a 103.1 passer rating in the Broncos’ 36-14 win at Carolina.
Other nominees for AFC Defensive Player of Week 10 as submitted by AFC clubs:
- Cincinnati defensive end CARLOS DUNLAP, who had five tackles, 1.5 sacks and one fumble recovery.
- Baltimore linebacker PAUL KRUGER, who posted six tackles, two sacks, one interception and one pass defensed.
- Houston safety DANIEAL MANNING, who had three tackles, one interception, one forced fumble and one pass defensed in the Texans’ 13-6 win at Chicago.
- New England defensive back DEVIN MC COURTY, who had eight tackles, one interception, one forced fumble and one pass defensed in the Patriots’ 37-31 win over Buffalo.
- Denver linebacker VON MILLER, who had six tackles, one sack, four tackles for loss and a forced fumble.
- Pittsburgh linebacker LAWRENCE TIMMONS, who posted seven tackles and an interception in the Steelers’ 16-13 overtime win against Kansas City.
Other nominees for AFC Special Teams Player of Week 10 as submitted by AFC clubs:
- Denver kick returner TRINDON HOLLIDAY, who totaled eight punt returns for 125 yards (15.6 average), including a 76-yard PR-TD. Holliday also returned two kickoffs for 44 yards (22 average)
- Pittsburgh kicker SHAUN SUISHAM, who made three field goals (35, 31, 23) and one extra point.