Quarterback MATT RYAN of the Atlanta Falcons, cornerback TIM JENNINGS of the Chicago Bears and kick returner-wide receiver PERCY HARVIN of the Minnesota Vikings are the NFC Offensive, Defensive and Special Teams Players of the Month for September (September 5-October 1), the NFL announced today.
OFFENSE: QB MATT RYAN, ATLANTA FALCONS
- Ryan guided Atlanta to a 4-0 start, the third in franchise history, and led the league with a 112.1 passer rating.
- During September, Ryan completed 102 of 147 passes (69.4 percent) for 1,162 yards with 11 touchdowns versus two interceptions. Ryan’s 11 touchdown passes led the NFC and ranked second in the NFL and his 69.4 completion percentage was the second-highest mark in the league.
- He recorded a passer rating of at least 100 in all four games during the month. In his career, the Falcons are 27-0 when he reaches the mark. Ryan passed for at least three touchdowns in three games last month and Atlanta is 14-0 in his career when he has three or more TD passes in a game.
- In his fifth season from Boston College, this is Ryan’s second career Player of the Month Award (November 2010).
- He is the only player in franchise history to be named Offensive Player of the Month multiple times.
DEFENSE: CB TIM JENNINGS, CHICAGO BEARS
- Jennings led the NFL with four interceptions and registered an INT in three of the Bears’ four games. His nine passes defensed tied for the league lead.
- He had two interceptions on Kickoff Weekend against Indianapolis and then followed that up with an INT in each of the next two games. Additionally, Jennings broke up two passes that resulted in interceptions by a teammate, including a 45-yard touchdown by safety MAJOR WRIGHT in Week 3.
- Jennings is part of a defensive unit that led the NFL with 14 takeaways and 11 interceptions.
- In his seventh year from Georgia, this is Jennings’ first career Player of the Month Award.
- He is the first defensive back in franchise history to be named Defensive Player of the Month.
- Jennings is the first Bear to be honored since JULIUS PEPPERS (November 2011).
SPECIAL TEAMS: KR-WR PERCY HARVIN, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
- Harvin led the NFL averaging 38.3 yards per kick return and had a 105-yard KR-TD, the longest play in team history. He returned nine kickoffs for 345 yards and had at least 74 return yards in all four September contests.
- In Week 4, he returned the game’s opening kickoff 105 yards for a touchdown, his fifth career kick-return TD. Harvin and Pro Football Hall of Famer GALE SAYERS are the only players with at least 20 scrimmage touchdowns and five kick-return touchdowns in a player’s first four NFL seasons.
- Harvin also had 30 catches for 299 yards during the month as the Vikings went 3-1.
- In his fourth season from Florida, this is Harvin’s first career Player of the Month Award.
- Harvin is the first return specialist in team history to be named Special Teams Player of the Month.
- He is the first Viking to be honored since JARED ALLEN (October 2011).